It is important to us that you are confident that any of your personal data (“Data”) supplied to PainSmith Solicitors (“Us”, “Our” or “We”) is going to be held securely and responsibly. This policy will set out how the data that you supply to Us throughout Our involvement, will be stored and used.
What Data is collected?
Throughout our instruction we may be provided with/have access to any of the following:
- Data submitted by you or collected via your use of the website (www.painsmith.co.uk). This will include information provided to Us for the purpose of receiving regular blog articles relating to recent developments in the law. Within any blog articles received, there will be the option within that email to unsubscribe from receiving further articles thereafter;
- Data submitted by yourselves or parties acting on your behalf relating to an instruction or potential instruction of Us. This will include emails, documents sent by post or hand delivered to Our offices, information taken down by staff of PainSmith during telephone conversations or meetings and voice recordings of any of the aforementioned telephone conversations;
- Data submitted for the purpose of signing up to our helpline service;
- Any other information that you or any relevant third parties sends to Us.
How will the Data be used?
Any of the Data collected by any of the means set out above may be used for any of the following purposes:
- Carrying out Our instructions given by you throughout our involvement in a case;
- To ensure our compliance with the conditions set out in Our terms of business;
- Offering an initial consultation on a potential instruction;
- Forwarding on to trustworthy third parties for the purpose of carrying out the instructions given to Us. We will only share Data with any third parties where we are satisfied that they will take appropriate measures to ensure the protection of your Data;
- Forwarding on to trustworthy third parties for the purpose of carrying out necessary identity and money laundering checks. We will only share Data with any third parties where we are satisfied that they will take appropriate measures to ensure the protection of your Data;
- Sending goods which have been purchased either through the website or over the telephone;
Sending email communication that you have requested/signed up for;
- Deal with any requests or complaints made by yourself relating to Our handling of any instruction;
- Reminding helpline subscribers about renewals, provide access to the document vault and offer services that may be of interest to you provided by Us at a discounted rate by virtue of your subscription to the helpline service;
- Any requests made by third parties that by law we are required to comply with;
- Any requests made by third parties that we are required to comply with by virtue of Our obligation to the court.
How long will the Data be held for and where will the Data be stored?
We will retain the Data for as long as is necessary to ensure compliance with Our legal responsibilities. This will ordinarily be a minimum of 6 years from the date of Our last processing of any Data.
During any instruction Your Data will be stored in paper copy and/or on Our electronic database software. Once our instruction on any matter has concluded and no new Data is to be processed, the paper file may be sent to an off-sight archiving storage facility where it will be kept for the reminder of Our necessary time as the Data processor and controller.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that there is complete safety of your Data when it is supplied, transmission via the internet can never be entirely secure. We have set out a strict in house-policy for handling your Data to ensure that any risk is kept to an absolute minimum.
Your rights to object:
If at any time you do not wish your Data to be controlled by Us in accordance with this policy, you must notify Us on email@example.com setting out your reasons. Once notice of objection has been received, the processing of the Data will be stopped unless We are able to show that there is a reason that We are required to retain the Data in order to comply with Our legal responsibilities or if we have a legitimate interest in continuing to retain, hold and use the Data. If this is the case your Data will continue to be held, We will notify you of our reasoning for this within a reasonable period of time.
Any change of policy:
If any Data provided by yourselves is no longer correct and needs to be updated, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure that all of your records kept are updated.