Why Work With Us?
PainSmith Solicitors is a small firm with big horizons. We have a friendly, tight-knit team and work hard to maintain that. Our office is in a pleasant semi-rural location within reasonable commuting distance of Guildford, Southampton and Portsmouth and our staff are both local and from further afield. We are deeply committed to staff training and opportunities and encourage all our staff to take a full part in our internal and external training programme.
Despite our size we punch well above our weight and are widely recognised as one of the leading property law firms in England & Wales. We do not keep our paralegals making tea or driving a photocopier and give our staff much responsibility and experience as we believe they can handle, and then help them to do more!
Property Litigation Solicitor
Painsmith are seeking a litigation solicitor to join our busy team.
The successful candidate will:
- Manage their own civil litigation case load.
- Handle property litigation matters including possession claims, debt collection, boundary disputes; disrepair claims, and deposit disputes. There is also the ability to work in long leasehold areas if an interest is shown.
- Provide internal and external training courses for staff, clients and delegates at PainSmith’s guest seminars.
- Supervise junior staff members.
The role is primarily office based therefore the successful candidate will need their own transport and be able to commute to the office. Free parking is provided. Part-time working will be considered.
Candidates must be a qualified solicitor in England and Wales, minimum 2 years PQE – with experience of managing own case load and civil litigation. Knowledge or experience of Landlord & Tenant Law is advantageous but not essential.
Paralegal/ Junior Paralegal
The work undertaken by the firm predominantly involves assisting landlords and agents across the country with property disputes and litigation; proceedings for possession; preparation and interpretation of tenancy documentation; and lease extensions and enfranchisement.
PainSmith also produce and offer in-house training to lettings agents and provide a telephone helpline advice service.
The firm offers a competitive salary, opportunities to progress and a great work-life balance.
- Reviewing tenancy documents, drafting and serving statutory notices
- Drafting claim forms, particulars and letters before claim
- Instructing Counsel and preparing for possession hearings
- Conducting legal research and preparing advice notes
- General administrative tasks
Initially, the successful applicant will assist fee earners with their cases with the opportunity to progress to managing their own caseload independently with supervision following training and depending on the individuals ability and development.
Some experience working within an office environment is desirable; previous legal experience (prior employment, Law Degree, LPC, GDL) is advantageous but not essential as full training will be provided.
Key Skills Required
- Pro-active and enthusiastic
- Commitment to learn and develop
- Good IT skills (Microsoft Office)
- Ability to work well both within a team and independently
- Organisation and time management
Applicants must hold a full driving licence and be able to commute to the office independently as public transport in the area is limited.
Office Administrator/ Accounts Support Technician
PainSmith are looking for an Office Administrator to join the team. As Office Administrator you would be responsible for the following:
- Carry out administrative duties details of which will be provided prior to interview.
- Support to fee earners.
- Arrange and assist in the preparation of all training services provided by PainSmith.
- Administer the firm’s legal helpline and document sales invoices.
- Provide accounts assistance such as invoicing, debt chasing and monitoring client and office balances.
- Answer reception calls together with staff.
- Assist in managing the office diary.
- Other duties as required.
You must have a full driver’s licence and own transportation within a realistic reasonable commute of the office due to location. You will be required to visit our external archiving facilities. Due to the nature of this role PainSmith would require you to be office based. Some experience working within an office environment is advantageous; but full training will be provided on the job.
The ideal candidate will be highly organised and possess excellent computer and communication skills. We welcome candidates who have a willingness to learn within a legal environment. Both part time and full-time applicants would be considered for this role. The position may also suit someone seeking an apprenticeship. Salary dependent on experience.
For both roles you will need to have a willingness to learn and expand on all areas of landlord and tenant law, as well as taking on any tasks you are given. You will also need the ability to work under pressure both on your own and as part of the team.
PainSmith Solicitors has a strict policy of only offering training contracts to current staff. We will not accept training contract applications from outside the firm.