Association of British Insurers

I was reluctant to blog this but I have been persuaded that it might help some readers. The ABI has released some factsheets on what to do if you have been affected by the current unrest. The good news is that most domestic and commercial insurance policies will cover you for fire and looting.


  • Peter Smith 10th August 2011 at 4:06 pm

    I should think they would as they can claim back from the police – as of course can people who have no insurance.

    “This because a 125-year-old Riot Damages Act requires the police to pay out cash to property owners who suffered losses they couldn’t possibly predict.
    However, it’s only valid if victims give their details to the police within 14 days.”
    so victims had better get a move on.

    I have not heard this info on BBC Radio which is alarming.

    • PainSmith 12th August 2011 at 8:49 am

      The fund is set up by the police and Councils in local communities will be helping businesses make claims if people want the help. The period for making a claim has also been extended to 42 days and was mentioned on the BBC news yesterday following the recall to Parliament.

  • Gem 10th August 2011 at 4:56 pm

    I am glad you did! Whilst thankfully not affected it makes for interesting reading, and only furthers my affection for the blog.
    Many thanks as always.

Leave a Reply